Saturday, October 3, 2009

Keeping Up with the Lederhosen

Fellow Husky fans would pref title "All I Saw Was Lederhosen", so it was a tough call:) Drank our share of water @ Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, but t'was extent of us party animals considering our main goal there was to complete half marathon...Also resisted urge to invest in crazy hats that ranged on others from chicken heads to steins.
Thanks to our friend & running inspiration Anna Conner for accommodation arr & cheering us on (which was nice despite my insistence that unnecess in hopes she could relax too-instead we wiped her out as she tried to follow 6 of us along course:) even though she had to sit this one out @ 9 mos. pregnant-No thanks to me as navigator 'cuz I led Tara astray few too many times, which led to our even later arrival on Fri. night. Still managed to pick up our packet & enjoy late carb-loaded dinner @ Visconti's-By then, we didn't care if we had time to digest & topped it off with some hot choc 'cuz we were freezing:) Those who know me would be surprised that we, or I should say they did it for me, called it a night @ 11P in the Icicle Inn so we'd be rested & ready for action next am.
Gun fired @ 9A & we were off! Got my surge early-prob too early-& then realized peaked when still had half of half to go-ugh! Would rather have just appreciated for final mile like last year, but I was bound & determined to do better without having Luke on board. My training runs paid off with hill @ beg., then liked the trail over the river & through the woods. Only problem is mile markers were mini, so only caught #5, 10 & 11-Thus had this expression for all of my Anna sightings:)
Tried to encourage everyone else around final bend before finish line, then took advantage of the complimentary sugar fix:) The gingersnaps & apples kept fall vibe goin' as did the pumpkin gelatto! Skipped dip in river despite Anna's encouragement as a veteran of this run & opted for quick, yet warm & welcome shower...Then we headed for late lunch & rest o' Husky game @ Gustav's Onion Dome Tavern complete with first Mtn Dew in long time, which I thought was appropriate for the locale as well?! Food was better than outcome of the football rematch:(
Strolled along the quaint shops & felt entitled to few more treats for next couple hours before we crashed again much to dismay of this night owl but we were spent in more ways than one!!!

10 comments:

mj said...

woot woot! way to go!!

The Bergesons said...

good job becca!!! you failed to brag that you got 35 minutes faster than your last half so I will brag for you!! Glad you had fun and I hope you are proud of yourself because your family is all so proud of you!!

Washington Hills said...

35 minutes?!?!?!? I'm glad your sister wrote that out - you go, Beck!!!! Let's do it together next year. I am so in!!!!

(You look fabulous in the pictures, by the way!)

Monica said...

Becca
You ROCK! I need to take up running. If only I enjoyed it. Great job! Glad that you were able to go up with the ladies that is a fun trip.

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

Looks like such a fun girls weekend! Great run, and nice PR!! You crushed your last time!

McCray Family said...

Great job! you are a superstar! I am so impressed and you look fantastic!

Uffens Family said...

Seriosly...when I just play around with the idea of running 13 miles I get a little sick to my stomach! So impressed!!! Wish I had a good running buddy! Proud of you!

Dents said...

Nice post. That was a good weekend. I have been so tired this week! I just noticed that your front door is purple !!:) I hope your boys will enjoy watching the smurfs.

anna said...

looks like fun! i might have to look into that run next year!

Kjrsten said...

wow! Awesome Becky! Congrats! Did you beat your time? I actually got worse when I ran the half not pregnant... than when I ran it w/ meredith in the womb??? weird! It was the exact same run too, so i don't know what my problem was, besides the fact that I didnt train?!