Sunday, April 12, 2009

What are Little Boys Made Of?

For one last hura! during spring break, we DVRed afternoon session of General Conference on Sat. & set off in sunshine up north to Monroe where we found the Reptile Zoo. We had been hermits for most of the week, so invited our friends the Bains to come on our fieldtrip. My sister Cait also rode shotgun since Chris had to work (Sat=pretty much another workday unfortunately) & was great company not to mention helper with her nephews! WA friends may very well have seen the Reptile Man 'cuz he travels to elementary schools & was part o' the park entertainment series last summer. I think we actually saw him @ Emerald Downs when we took the boys on Labor Day a couple years ago-Anyway, not the same as going to the reptiles' home:)Cole was most excited to see the scorpion again?! My personal favorite is the harmless but oh so camouflaged stick bug:)














They advertised the 10 deadliest snakes, so Ayden & I set out to get a pic of 'em all... A boy after my own heart, he wouldn't rest until we found every cage except we were saddened to discover that #3-6 had passed & in need of replacement in case you know where we can find 'em:) And Yes! I am picturing each one for your viewing enjoyment-never mind my OCD:)















































The alligators & turtles were pretty sweet too...Ya can't see a two-headed one just anywhere and apparently this albino one is unique?!














The older kids got up close & personal with this big guy out in the yard, but I wasn't swift enough even for him to grab a shot with Luke onboard:)-oh well!
Isn't this one kinda funky-looking? It's a FL soft-bellied version!
So no idea who this kid is, but he has nicer mom than we who were too cheap to pay fee to hold this big guy or the baby alligator ourselves, but better to keep our distance anyway, eh? We can learn from others' experience & save $:)Actually this pic doesn't even do the snake justice!
Cole did get in on the action with smaller versions (ball python & corn snake)
as did Emmerson amazingly enough for being the lone little girl in the group! She held her own with interest & interaction with the creepy crawly things...

Both Cole & Dane even got to take home a snake skin-eewww! Actually Dane was original recipient, but he split in half so not as cool but sweet as a brother-
Luke was youngest since Draven (jen's 3 mo. old) stayed home with Dad & he was just thrilled to be held after chilling in the car seat-Can't leave out a variety o' lizards-














p.s. Nearby Lake Tye Park was a good place to run around before climbing back in car too!
Overall I highly recomm if you're looking for 3 hr. adventure-

3 comments:

Uffens Family said...

I am sort of glad you did the reptile thing without me...I am such a wimpy girl but I think God knows better than to give me any boys...I would make them the sissiest things in the world!

Kjrsten said...

you are the perfect BOY mama! I would be terrible at all this boy stuff... reptiles and baseball! seems foreign to me! Somebody upstairs really knows what he is doing when he sends us who he sends us!

Washington Hills said...

And, why did I never take my kids here? That place looks awesome!