Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Great Grape Mystery

Imagine my horror @ receiving a phone call following Ward Conf. wrap-up mtg. that Chris was en route to the ER with Cole who hadn't choked but seemed to have gotten a grape stuck in his throat during dinner @ Shaws'! Thank goodness my mom is a nurse & my husband was remarkably calm 'cuz they decided (although he could still breathe) that the impact on his voice & his crazy cough was enough to make them concerned that he might not be able to swallow on his own...Cait & Dane got to join them @ Mary Bridge since convenience care in U.P. was closed for Sun. night-Too bad I was without a car 'cuz our Jetta decided to malfunction right after I got a new car & we were back down to one-ugh! So my dad had to pick me up after he dropped off my brother-in-law @ the airport & soon Rach, Annie, & I were there as well! So hard to see my son with an IV in his arm, pale & with voice that was barely audible, but I know that was so minor compared to what some kids experience in the hospital! They had been seen by a doctor right away 'cuz of his difficulty breathing & he'd had an x-ray already, but they wanted to be safe than sorry & opted to do a bronchoscopy/esophagoscopy (the bill clarified the spelling of procedure-ugh!) that night to make sure nothing was still lodged in one of his tubes. He had to have anesthesia & everything for a scope & 20 min. in surgery?! Notice Iron Monger was his trusty sidekick in the hospital:) By then it was 9P, so we sent Dane home with grandparents & aunts while we were in waiting room. We hadn't really unpacked from cabin that weekend 'cuz we'd had sleepover @ my parents to bond with Mike on his last night in town until Aug. So I guess t'was handy to have pillows & overnight bag-Cole picked Chris to stay with him overnight per dr's recommendation, but I still stayed until about midnight...Once we knew he was okay, he thought he was @ a resort or something (again not to belittle others' trauma there). Did we mention that the infamous grape was never found so must've swallowed somehow after all?! However Cole thought it was fabulous to spend the rest of hte night maneuvering the bed & using the remote on the TV (though he wanted to inform the nurses that nothing for kids was on @ that hour-um, 10:30P?!) There was no way he was going to bed when he could have all-you-can-drink choc milk, ice cream, jello & popsicles:) So he was apparently cured despite remnants of bad cough! He even tried on hospital pj pants & wanted to use the call button for the nurse until we informed him that was only if he was in pain?!? That's going to be one expensive sleepover but better safe than sorry!

4 comments:

daegan said...

scarey! i'm glad everything turned out ok! always remember to look for the good instead of the worse. you guys look like you've had a busy and fun summer! your boys are so handsome and getting so big!

alicia said...

Go Cole for obviously being so brave. I had no idea this had happened. Glad that things all turned out ok.

The Bergesons said...

scary--especially when all I had to go off of for an hour or so was Cait's message with very few details other than "cole is in ER because he can't breath"-I almost bought a ticket on the next flight home! I am so glad all is well, that he was so brave AND had fun in the meantime--I don't know what I would do if something happened to him--love you!

Michelle said...

Wow what an ordeal! Glad he ended up being ok!

Wasn't yesterdays game just a heart breaker. I'm still not over it...maybe a nice Seahawks victory today will help a little bit. Atleast we didn't embarrass ourselves like at OR! We actually looked like a decent team with potential.

I'm hoping I make it to the OK game next week, but it'll be cutting it close considering I'm due in 9 days =) Hard to imagine you can have a women who's 39 weeks pregnant and asking the baby to hold off for another 6 days so she can make it to a football game, huh, LOL!! I'll be posting pictures from the game yesterday later today =)

We love the fair!! Going back again today after church. There is a caramel apple and corn dog calling my name. Hope you guys have fun on all the rides, etc when you go again.

Glad Kindergarten went well for Cole too, how did you do?? Was it hard for you?

Did you shop the gymboree baby sale? I was surprised I didn't see you in there, LOL. Got Ava tons of stuff and a few things for baby! Now more gymbucks too, I swear we just redeemed gymbucks!!

Have a good day!