Monday, January 28, 2008

We'll always BE Thankful for Pres. Hinckley


For the record, the previous post was added prior to the news of Pres. Hinckley's death. Obviously celebrity status has been put in perspective as it should. Like many of you, I can hardly believe that our beloved prophet has passed away!?! I was hoping he could make it to 100, but to tell you the truth, I didn't ever want to hear that he was gone. We received two phone calls with the sad news: one from Cole's preschool teacher shortly followed by a good friend. Tears immediately came to my eyes as I realized the impact & void that would be felt not only by Church members but worldwide with loss of such a great leader & inspired man of God. Chris tried to get update online, but seemingly took forever to confirm details & even then such contrast to media frenzy surrounding Heath Ledger-ironic! I'm glad it was @ least included within the hour on major news servers so he could receive tribute that he deserved with quiet dignity. I took some time after boys in bed to look @ pics. I'm sure I'll read his quotes with extra care in coming months as well. Everyone will really notice in April during Gen. Conf., but the beauty of the gospel & restored Church is the way the current apostles will carry on according to the Lord's will. I love that order & have a testimony of that authority we know as the priesthood! I will miss so many things about Pres. Hinckley...The Poles thought his last name was BHinckley & interestingly enough, that was appropriate for his manner of being so many things to so many people. He exemplified the very adjectives & characteristics that he preached! With my own degree in PR, I was especially aware of the amazing strides he made as the face of the Church in the public eye. He was so articulate & had a great sense of humor. I'll never forget his cute quips & mannerisms, always waving that funny cane towards the end. Once @ BYU devotional that I had privilege of attending in Marriott Center, he knew the camera was on him & ran his fingers through his hair just enough that it would be on the big screen overhead! Here's another memory that captured his ever-positive attitude...
He knew when it was appropriate to be silly & yet no one could ever doubt his unwavering faith & powerful, sincere testimony. My only solace since we can't have him here with us is how much joy he now feels with reunion to his sweet wife Marjorie & without a body to limit his spirit's high energy:)

I know I'll grow to love new prophets in succession & of course, the gospel is still true. But Pres. Hinckley will always hold a special place in my heart & personal testimony of continued revelation! Just as he challenged, I will do my very best to live in a way that I can be like him when I grow up! oh how he is loved & will be missed!!

5 comments:

The Bergesons said...

I was so impressed with my sister's posts so dilligently posting their testimonies.I was so sad when I heard last night..I knew I would be sad but I didnt anticipate to feel the loss like this! WE were so lucky to have him for so long! love you! Britty

Sarah Goodsell said...

I feel the same...can I just cut and paste your post!? You put it so much better than I ever could. I was thinking about my experiences with him personally for me and tears were falling...how he helped my gain my testimony! and how he will be missed!!!

Sarah Goodsell said...

Sorry it is Rach...I was helping a friend with her blog and apparently I am still signed in as her :)

Kim said...

I share in your comments... you put it so beautifully! I found your blog through Alisa's. Check out mine at kjohnson5.blogspot.com

:) Kim (Gollihur) Johnson

Alisa said...

Well said my friend! You're a good writer.